WE'VE MOVED! Democratic Convention Watch is now at http://www.DemocraticConventionWatch.com
From the comments, unconfirmed but reasonable, is a list of the 10 members of the 2008 Democratic Convention Technical Advisory Group. From the DNC:
The technical advisory committee begins the process of reviewing the applications and visiting the cities this summer.The TAG will make the city visits, and report back whether cities are capable of hosting the convention: site, hotel rooms, media support, transportation, etc.
So who's on the TAG?
- Tom McMahon, DNC Executive Director - previously Exec Director of Democracy for America; Deputy Campaign Manager for Dean
- Leah Daughtry, DNC Chief of Staff - Director of Convention Management for the 1992 Democratic National Convention
- Matt Nugen, Director of Chairman Dean's Office, Deputy COO 2000 convention.
- Joseph Sandler - former General Counsel for the DNC
- Zoe Garmendia - 2004 site selection, 1996, 2000 and 2004 convention logistics
- Cameron Moody - 1996, 2000 and 2004 convention logistics
- Wally Podrazik - He's been involved with handling media logistics at every Democratic convention since at least 1980, and has been involved with site selection in the past. Wally is also an author of TV and Beatle books.
- Diane Dewhirst - Former press secretary to Senator George Mitchell, and I believe she's done convention logistics in the past
- Elaine Howard - 2004 site selection; former Director of Events for DNC
- Ricky Kirshner - Producer 1992-2004 conventions
The rest of the group is clearly technical/logistical, not political.
This is all very different than 2004, when folks like Willie Brown, Henry Cisneros, and Freddy Ferrer were on a 40-person site advisory committee. A smaller group will make the city visits less of a circus, and/but probably give Dean greater control over the final selection.