Thursday, July 24, 2008

Mid-Week Senate Update - 60?

WE'VE MOVED! Democratic Convention Watch is now at http://www.DemocraticConventionWatch.com

I keep writing that everyone (read: the Professionals) are understating the potential Senate gains. I not only post that here, I tell everyone. And finally, there is a professional who agrees that the gains could be great, possibly even the magic number of 60. The professional in question is none other than Chuck Schumer. He of the 2006 gains. DCSS chair. Here's what he said:

"I know you'll ask me, can we get to sixty? And I'd say it's very difficult given the map, but its not out of the question. And I would have said the same thing two years ago... if you would have asked me [then] could we get six seats a hundred days before the election. I would have said it is very difficult but it's not out of the question."
Politico/RCP call the Senator's pronouncement "irrational exuberance", but look at what Schumer said, then look at the little piece they chose to pull out of it.

In addition, the DSCC is backing things up with dollars: over $15 million in ad buys (so far) in North Carolina, New Mexico, Minnesota and Maine for the Senate races. Plus, the ad they put up in Oregon this week.