WE'VE MOVED! Democratic Convention Watch is now at http://www.DemocraticConventionWatch.com
Here are some recent quotes on various cities bidding for the 2008 Democratic National Convention:
- Denver Mayor John Hickenlooper, on Denver's chances: “I was more skeptical in the beginning. I think our chances now are 50-50, and maybe even a little better.”
- Denver Host Comittee Co-Chair Steve Farber: “I think it's not only Denver's turn, I think that the Democrats are focusing and should focus to the west if they want to win the presidential election. They have to start picking up some western states.”
- Political Analyst Eric Sondermann: “They're looking at which city has its act together in terms of hotel rooms and convention facilities. Bottom line they're looking at which city's going to provide the best photo op. The same logic that took the Republicans to New York City post Sept. 11 could take the Democrats to New Orleans, post hurricane Katrina."
- Katherine Archuleta, chief operating officer for Denver: "I'd say we're the front-runner for the convention. The city is prettier than New York, it's more fun than Minneapolis, and the weather's better than in New Orleans."
- St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman: "We will get one of these conventions, I am sure."
- Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak: "We are planning to spend a significant amount of time showing … not only that the venues work, but that this community can lay out the red carpet or the blue carpet, whichever party it applies to."