Friday, August 15, 2008

The "Professional" Media

WE'VE MOVED! Democratic Convention Watch is now at http://www.DemocraticConventionWatch.com

Jack Shafer over at Slate makes the case that the conventions are not worth press coverage. He says:

"A still better way to improve convention coverage would be to withdraw all reporters and force the curious to rely on a C-SPAN feed: Unless a brokered convention threatens to break out, these political gatherings tend to produce very little real news. Yet the networks, the newspapers, the magazines, and the Web sites continue to insist on sending battalions of reporters to sift for itsy specks of information. According to Forbes, 15,000 pressies are expected to attend each of the conventions. Slate, I'm embarrassed to admit, is sending a team of eight to Denver and six to St. Paul. Attention! Don Graham! We're spending your cash like it's Zimbabwean bank notes!"
Personally, I'm sorry I'm not going, and I will watch every bit of it I can, and hungrily read the blogs to get a sense of what's happening while the cameras are off. But that's just me, how do YOU feel?