Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Impressions of Monday

WE'VE MOVED! Democratic Convention Watch is now at http://www.DemocraticConventionWatch.com

Impressions, because that is all I am going to have time for. I'm writing this at 5:30 am local, having woken after an absolutely packed day which ended at 1 am. Don't know how long I can keep that up! I have tons of pictures/video/audio, but don't know if I'll have time to deal with uploading it all. I do not have Internet access from the floor, so I won't be taking my computer along in the future. Less to get inspected by security, anyway.

Anyhow enough whining, here are some impressions:

High points - Ted Kennedy's speech had us all crying, those around me anyhow. It was so gallant, with the old fire we have seen from him for so long. "The torch has been passed..." Caroline: "I've never experienced anyone who inspired me the way so many people told me my father inspired them. Until now."

Michelle's speech was brilliant, warm, human and humane. She did what she needed to do, making the case for family values as a Demcocratic priority.

Flub of the day: Barack saying he was speaking from St. Louis, when the monitor clearly indicated he was in Kansas City. His daughter picking up on it - "What city are you in, daddy?" He then was able to correct himself. Well, he's only human after all. Not much reaction to this from those of us in the hall.

Michigan's seats are up close to the podium, right behind the host delegation of Colorado, and just to the right of the nominee's, Illinois. We get to see everything at close range.
Well, most of you watched the major speakers anyhow. Here are some one-liners I jotted in my notebook from other speakers you may not have heard:

"A huge departure from the same-old, same-old"
-- Deval Patrick, speaking of the process that generated the platform document. Amen and amen! Those of us who participated in the platform house meetings will never forget it.

"I am proud that this year the platform was opened to the American people. Over 2600 platform meetings were held across the country, and over 30,000 people attended"
-- Patricia Madrid, Platform Committee Chair

"When the water is rough, everybody paddles"
-- John Hickenlooper, Mayor of Denver

(In Spanish, then translated) "Tell me who your friends are, and I will tell you who you are. John McCain voted with George Bush 90% of the time."
-- Sylvestre Reyes (TX), Congressional Hispanic Caucus