Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Supremes

WE'VE MOVED! Democratic Convention Watch is now at http://www.DemocraticConventionWatch.com

In selecting people for positions in the Obama administration, the choice has been "smart and capable." (As an aside, I heard on TV that more than 200,000 people have applied so far for the 7,000 positions available.)

Once the government gets going, there is going to be another position to fill: the first Supreme Court vacancy. The likelihood is that Justice Stevens will serve, at most, to the end of the current term.

My brother and I had a conversation about this last night, and he believes that the initial choice must be an incredibly smart and competent woman, black and/or Hispanic to make the Court look more like America and less like a bunch of old white guys with a token woman, and an African-American wingnut. I care less about race, colour, creed, gender, sexual orientation: I want the brightest, most liberal mind to fill Justice Stevens' seat. I want Russ Feingold.

The choice might be an academic, a judge below the radar (in fact, I have this cousin...), or someone else we might not know yet. Who do you think the first new Justice should be? You can answer either with a name, or whether you agree with my brother that the race, colour, creed, gender, sexual orientation is most important.

And just for the sake of trivia, and knowing that he is NOT a choice for the Supreme Court, why would I mention the name "Hill Harper" in this post?