Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Clothes Make the Man, or Woman?

WE'VE MOVED! Democratic Convention Watch is now at http://www.DemocraticConventionWatch.com

Politico is reporting that the RNC has spent more than $150,000 on clothes for Sarah Palin and crew. You can read the article, and view the slide show for the details, but as the female member of the DCW team, I have a few comments my cohorts here might not consider.

First, the bill at Barney's was $789.72. I doubt this, because about the only clothing you can buy at Barney's for that little money are the cheap jeans, and she's been wearing dresses and suits. Unless, of course, you buy from the co-op collection, but I viewed the slide show, and I'm doubting that.

The RNC spent close to $9500 at Macy's, and over five grand at Bloomingdale's. While I've never done it personally, I know it actually is easy to drop five grand at Bloomies in a brief period of time because I've watched people do it. But close to ten grand at Macy's? HHHMMM, I'm thinking it's a different Macy's from the one we have here where the "Everyday Value Long-Sleeve Crew Neck Tee" is $12.98. Honest, EVERY DAY. I know this because I own three of them.

In the interest of full disclosure, I prefer to spend as much time in jeans and Crocs as is humanly possible, because I value comfort over fashion. I do, however, clean up nicely when necessary, and yes, clothes cost. Good clothes usually need to be altered: a dart here, a tuck there. An initial fitting, the work, and the second try-on to make sure everything worked right.

So the thing that perplexes me is this: when you go for the fitting, you need to stand very still as you're attacked by a woman with a mouth full of straight pins channeling my grandmother (don't ask, it's a long story). Is there some reason that while Spunky was standing frozen to avoid getting pin pricked, her RNC handler couldn't have held up flash cards teaching her names of newspapers and Supreme Court decisions?