Thursday, September 18, 2008

McCain Trips on Spain

WE'VE MOVED! Democratic Convention Watch is now at http://www.DemocraticConventionWatch.com


Talking to Spanish-speaking Union Radio yesterday, John McCain was asked about his stance on Spanish Prime Minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero. Stumped, McCain tried to wing it, rambling about anti-U.S. Latin American leaders. The text, via FP Passport:

Interviewer: Let's talk about Spain. If you are elected president, would you be willing to invite President José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero to the White House to meet with you?

McCain: I would be willing to meet with those leaders who are our friends and want to work with us in a cooperative fashion. And by the way, President Calderon of Mexico is fighting a very tough fight against the drug cartels. I'm glad we are now working in cooperation with the Mexican government on the Merida plan and I intend to move forward with relations and invite as many of them as I can, of those leaders to the White House.

Interviewer: Would that invitation be extended to the Zapatero government, to the president itself?

McCain: I don't...you know, honestly I have to look at the relations and the situations and the priorities but I can assure you, I will establish closer relations with our friends and I will stand up to those who want to do harm to the United States of America. I know how to do both.

Interviewer: So you have to see if he's willing to meet with you, or you'll be able to do it in the White House?

McCain: Again, I don't...all I can tell you is that I have a clear record of working with leaders in the hemisphere that are friends with us and standing up to those who are not and that's judged on basis of the importance of our relationship with Latin America and the entire region.

Interviewer: Okay, but what about Europe? I'm talking about the president of Spain.

McCain: What about me, what?

Interviewer: Are you willing to meet with him if you are elected president?

McCain: I'm willing to meet with any leader that's dedicated to the same principles and philosophy that we are for human rights, democracy, and freedom and I will stand up to those that do not.
Looks like Palin's not the only one who needs to be brought up to speed. Kos and TPM are all over it.