Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Greetings from Texas

WE'VE MOVED! Democratic Convention Watch is now at http://www.DemocraticConventionWatch.com

As the McCain bounce has been swirling nationwide, I have been in Texas, a red state, instead of home in Pennsylvania.

For all of us, our worlds are somewhat small: we see what we see around us, we have friends and family who are often "like us". Since I arrived here on Sunday, I have seen not one Obama lawn sign, nor bumper sticker, nor button-wearing voter. This is alien to me, as you can't go anywhere near my "world" without seeing signs, bumper stickers, and banners.

This has not, however, dissuaded me from asking people with whom I come in contact whether they are registered to vote (and yes, I had someone send me some Texas forms, so I'm ready, and have already handed out 4). I am surprised that there are as many people as there are who are planning on voting for Obama. Granted, the first locals I ran into were at the local Whole Foods where I stopped for fruit when I arrived, but I have also spoken to people at gas stations, the printer, the hotel, and when I go out for my dawn run.

Today I had to venture into the country, and since I needed to use my phone as a GPS, in lieu of an iPod, I listened to the radio, and was listening to a call-in show wherein people were discussing the election. A number of people were concerned with how to register or get absentee ballots. (This is the nationwide link for that information). Many others were concerned with the McCain bounce, and whether they should be worried or not. The radio show host kept assuring them that once theh debates occurred, it would be a whole different ball game.

I had lunch with several people, and one of the woman said that she'd heard something and wanted to know the veracity (or not) of the information. I assured her that, contrary to what her cousin had told her, Obama would not assess a Federal luxury tax on all houses greater than 2800 square feet - while it wasn't true on its face, it is a base concept that property taxes are state not Federal.

I asked her why she was supporting McCain and she said that his name was familiar. I asked if she knew his record, and she had no idea what he stood for, nor how he had voted as a Senator. Half an hour later, she explained that it didn't matter, since her vote didn't count. I'm the wrong person to say that to. Suffice it to say that even though this is Texas, I'll be sending her information, and there is a better than 50/50 chance that we'll have one more vote on November 4th.

Elections are won one voter at a time - please go out and get yours today!